In our world today, wars and a lot of disasters are causing a lot of fear. With these pestilences, we will look at the safest places to live in the world. Now, what happens when there is a lack of peace in an environment? Surely, people will no longer be safe, then development will be stalled, and restriction of economic activities.
How Are Countries Ranked In The “Peace League Table”
There is a non-partisan and non-governmental organization that does these peace rankings. Their main aim is to shift the world’s attention to “peace as a positive, achievable, and tangible measure of human wellbeing and progress”. The name of this organization is the Institute for Economics and Peace. They do their rankings each year and reveal countries who are doing well on the table and those walloping in the “relegation zone”.
A total of 163 countries are ranked annually followed by 23 indicators. Now, before we mention the top countries doing very well on the table, let us look at how the ranking is done.
- Number of internal and external violent conflicts
- Level of distrust
- Political instability
- Potential for terrorist acts
- Number of homicides
- Military expenditures as a percentage of GDP
Now based on the above indicators, countries are ranked yearly. We will now look at the safest places to Live in the World in 2021 according to the peace league table.
Also, according to the peace index, Europe is regarded as the safest. The following are some of the top 10 countries regarded as safest.
- New Zealand
- Czech Republic
What Makes The Top 10 Countries The Most Safest?
- Iceland: The Global Peace Index has indicated Iceland as the safest place on earth. This country has been in this position 13 times in a row. Iceland has a small population of about 340,000. The police service in Iceland is able to control the smaller population. It is a known fact that the police in this country carry no weapon. Iceland has no military. There are laws in place for equal pay for men and women. Iceland is therefore the safest place in the world.
- New Zealand: New Zealand is the second most peaceful and safest country in the world today. This country has a low crime rate. However, in 2019, New Zealand dropped some position as a result of a terror attack on two mosques in Christchurch which resulted in the death of 51 people. Just like Iceland, police in New Zealand do not carry any weapons.
- Portugal: Portugal is the 3rd country on our list according to the world peace index. Unlike the two countries in the first and second positions, police in Portugal are armed. The government in Portugal has also statistically reduced unemployment from 17% to 7%. These two factors and others have helped to reduce crime in Portugal.
- Austria: With no major tourism despite political instability in 2017, Austria is ranked the 4th safest place on earth. There is no serious crime in Austria however, visitors should be worried about pickpockets who are very common in the country.
- Denmark: The last country we will be talking about is Denmark. Denmark is reportedly one of the safest countries on earth. There is equality, free education, and health care. The government in Denmark provides citizens with perks that allow them to live comfortably.
So, if you are looking for a safe country to live in, just choose some of the listed countries and start a new life. Thanks for reading.